Friday, June 24, 2011

We've been trying to help Daniel deal with frustration/anger without hitting. This mostly involves using a calm voice to ask what made him so angry, followed by asking what he should do with his anger. Correct answers:
a. shout "I am SO angry"
b. stomp feet
c. pound floor with hands

Basically, it comes down to anything that doesn't involve touching other people or hurting himself.

For a few weeks, whenever things aren't going his way, he shouts at the perpetrator (usually Edward or me), "Fine, then you're not coming to my next birthday party."

I have to say it is difficult not to laugh, but I try to calmly respond, "OK, Daniel. I'm sorry I'll miss it." When my own frustration level is high, I must admit to responding, "I really don't care!" Mature.

Yesterday when he was sent to the stairs to "think it over" (aka Time Out) after hitting Edward (more than once) he resisted until I threatened to take away his bike. Then he stomped off to the stairs saying, "Fine, then I'm taking off all my clothes." Within seconds I had an underpants-clad boy half-way up the stairs.

I had to leave the area so he would not see me doubling over in laughter. When the three-minute timer beeped, he returned to playtime with his emotions under control. He did not put clothes on for the rest of the night. But I did not take a picture go go with this post.