Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Ever since half his class went to kindergarten last August, Edward has told anyone who asks him about school, "Next time it's August, I'M going to kindergarten!"

Today in the car on the way to kindergarten registration, a small voice in the back seat said, "Mom, I think when it's August and it's time for me to go to my kindergarten school I might be a little scared."

Oh, my melting heart.

So we talked about how things that are new and different sometimes seem scary but it doesn't take long until the new things are fun and familiar. I imagine we'll have many versions of this conversation in the next six months as we count down to August 18, 2011.

While I was filling out the paperwork, Ed seemed to be taking it all in--"huge" cafeteria, new kids, different adults. After I was done, we walked down the hall to see the kindergarten classrooms (there are three this year.) We stopped to see the gym, pointed out the bathrooms, peered through the window of the library and art rooms. Two of the three kindergarten teachers were in their rooms and very welcoming. Today is a teacher conference day so no students. We were lucky to walk by while they were between parent meetings. (Later this spring they'll have a kindergarten round-up with plenty of time to see everything, meet teachers and other kids.)

The rooms are sunny and inviting and both boys were ready to make themselves at home. We also saw the mom of one of Edward's preschool friends, so he'll know at least one other kid on the playground, even if they aren't in the same class together.

Daniel, never one to believe he can't do every single thing his brother can do, said, "Mom, I want you to sign ME up too!" When I told him he had to be five to go to kindergarten, he said, "No, Mom, three-year-olds can go to kindergarten too." Later, when we walked by the drinking fountain, we discovered that Ed is tall enough to get his own drink, but Daniel still needed a boost. This seemed to be the most persuasive argument in my favor.

Oh, and we already had to visit the school lost and found because Daniel left his hat in the cafeteria.