Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ed helped me make Valentine cookies last week, a grand family tradition. It had been on my "to do" list but was in danger of falling too low to accomplish before the holiday. But then when I heard our neighbor snow-blowing our driveway after the latest blast of winter, I was inspired. Nothing says "Thank you!" like a sweet Valentine treat. We're hoping it also says, "Please, please, please, keep up the good work" as we're due for another five inches tonight and tomorrow. Yes, that's right, tomorrow. Monday. The occasion of my weekly trip to Cedar Rapids. ARGH! It's supposed to be done by the time I'll hit the road, but it was also supposed to have started by now, and any delay in onset brings a parallel delay in ending.

Ed had fun with the cookies, but didn't have the attention span to continue with the decorating. I actually consider cookies my best artistic medium, so I didn't mind adding the frosting and sprinkles myself. We also took some to our "church friend" Barb, who sits with us each week and helps me keep the boys corralled. And of course, we managed to eat a few ourselves!

Despite the snow, we may be off the sledding circuit for a while. We tried again after the previously described trip and Daniel was not into it. I'm not sure if it truly was lingering fear from the previous wipe-outs, or just that he happened to be tired and hungry, but after one trip down he declared he was ready to go home and started walking toward the car. We tried some persuasion, to no avail. I said I'd take Daniel home and John could call when he and Ed were done. Once we got the car, Daniel was in such a state that he could not say whether he wanted to get in or stay and go sledding. The response to either option was a screaming "No!" It took me long enough to figure out how to proceed, that John and Ed took a few more trips down the hill and Ed decided he didn't want to stay if we were leaving. They came around the corner to the parking lot just as I was at my wits end with how to get Daniel home. John got him buckled and I declared I was DONE with sledding for the season. We'll see.This morning the boys were playing firefighter, rushing from this "truck" to the next room to put out a fire "so big it's pink and purple," according to Firefighter Edward. There was a house fire in town (close to campus) this week and he saw a picture in the paper, so he's been extra interested in all things rescue this week. However, I'm not sure how color and size became conflated. During this picture, Ed made a siren sound so loud it sent him into a coughing fit.

For some reason, Daniel finds it easier to put on the fire helmet backward, so this is most often the way he wears it. I think he also finds that it stays on his head better this way.