Sunday, July 01, 2007

Did you know church could be hazardous to your health? Edward and I found this out this morning...the hard way. He's usually pretty good, despite the total inability to sit still. He sits and stands on the kneeler, reads the books I bring, puts the envelope in and out of a slot that holds a spare one for those who forget their own, makes faces at the people around us, etc. Generally harmless. In the last few weeks, he's learned how to climb up on the pew, so he's added this to his repertoire, standing and sitting over and over to amuse himself. I generally keep a hand right behind him because of course I do not trust him, and really, why should I? Today he got himself seated in between me and the other person in our pew. I watched him scoot forward to the edge of the pew and could see he was trying to get down. In an instant, he pitched forward and crashed into the pew in front of us. He must have caught the corner of the missal holder as well because by the time I carried him screaming back to the cry room, I felt something moist when I pressed his head against my face to comfort him. Blood. Lots of it. We left the cry room in search of a helpful usher, who led us to the church basement seeking a first aid kit. We never did find it, but I managed to mostly stop the blood with a wet paper towel in the bathroom and then cleaned as much blood from the two of us as possible. The usher was still waiting for us when we got out of the bathroom and tried to find us some ice, to no avail. I could see two knots swelling on his head and decided we'd better head home. He screamed when we tried to ice it here, so we gave up after a few attempts and covered it with a band-aid. The photo above was taken several hours later, after a long nap. He's not actually crying here, just making a funny face. He cried amazingly little, for how shocking the whole thing must have been.

Maybe he'll have to get out his winter hat again this week to cover the wound. He dug around in a cupboard he has easy access to and found these items earlier this week. He brought them to me for help and then walked around like this for quite a while. His other silliness these days is walking around with his highchair toys dangling from his pockets. He walks quite gingerly and giggles as he goes. I'm not sure why this is funny, but whatever keeps him amused is fine with me.

Unfortunately for Edward, most of the Geraghty family injury sympathy is used up this week on my brother, P.J., who had a motorcycle accident on Tuesday and severely injured his right leg. He's had surgery and was supposed to leave the hospital today to go home to the hospital bed they had to bring in for their downstairs. He'll have a long recovery ahead (including another surgery in a week, after the swelling has gone down) but we're all SO glad it was only his leg, as an accident of this type could have been much worse. And thankfully, the motorcycle has been towed to the repair shop where it will remain until some other fool decides to buy it. If you're interested, the link above takes you to his recovery blog where he's keeping us posted on his daily progress.