Monday, January 29, 2007

We had a busy weekend indoors as the temperatures hovered in the single digits. John and Ed did get out Saturday morning to the library where they have an all-ages story time on Saturdays. (There are age-specific story times during the week, including a "book babies" session for kids Ed's age and younger, but they're all in the morning when I'm at work.) Turned out that this week's story time was in Spanish. Might be fun when he's older, but since he hardly pays attention in English it wasn't in the cards. Still, they have a couple of low-table toy areas for the kids so they had some fun, and, more importantly, stayed out for an hour so I could finish my homework! I've started taking courses toward an MBA. It's an evening program designed for working professionals, so theoretically we should be able to make it work with an Ed hand off when John gets home as I go out. Classes are only one night per week and you can go at your own pace, which for me is ONE class per semester!

Anyway, on to what you really want to read about. What's new with Ed? Well, I thought maybe since it has been a month since Christmas and his birthday that he might be ready for a few new toys to change things up a bit. Many of his gifts went behind closed doors to wait for winter boredom. So we got out a couple of trucks and a set of blocks that have vehicles inside them, some of which rattle when shaken--always a bonus. These were of some interest, but in the end, he spent the most time playing with our discarded milk jugs awaiting recycling and a shoebox full of the lids from baby food jars. What a simple child. Thank the wisdom of Mom for the jar lids idea. I'd saved a bunch of the jars with lids thinking that there must be some use for them. There may be, but I never discovered it and I really don't think there's an inner Martha Stewart waiting to inspire me, so I was preparing to recycle them and mentioned this to my mom who said, "Ditch the jars, but save the lids!" Who knew? (Well, Mom, obviously.) He LOVES them. They make lots of noise when rattled in the box or banged together and they provide endless minutes of taking out and putting back in the box.

We also watched as he "learned to dance"--pushing the button on one of his toys that turns on the music and then bouncing in place, decidedly NOT with the rhythm. Like father like son. There may be video of this soon, but it's kind of hard to capture. Stay tuned.

Also, I think we forgot to mention in the last post that Ed's top two front teeth have come through. They'd been on the verge for several weeks, but John declared that he felt the sharp edge a week ago Wednesday (Jan. 17--note to self in case I ever managed to update the baby book!) We thought that would maybe put a stopper in the drool source for a bit, but as you can see from the bib, things are as soggy as ever. This photo was taken before 8 a.m. on Sunday!