Thursday, January 11, 2007

Each day Edward seems to encroach a little further into previously inaccessible territory. Over the weekend he learned how to raise himself up to tippy-toes to reach the whole top of our living room bookcase, which had previously served as a depository for keys, change, mail, books and other assorted daily detritus. No more. It's is now empty and of course, no longer of interest to exploring hands. Also, as he gains confidence in his own mobility, Edward is starting to walk along walls and other places where he only has the ability to balance, rather than grab hold. This includes kitchen cabinets, so the safety latches had to be installed. He was pretty disappointed to wake up from his nap the other day to discover he no longer had access.

And now I swallow any sense of pride I ever hoped to cling to by posting this video. Let me just say in my own defense that it's a cold, rainy, miserable day and I opted not to change out of my sweats after an afternoon treadmill walk. At first I swore this would not be blog worthy--way too embarrassing--but in service of Edward's fan base, I sacrifice my own vanity to bring you the following.



The last segment was just before his pre-bed meltdown, which somewhat accounts for the hysteria. But here's what was happening: Ed and John frequently play "hide and seek" from opposite sides of our living room chair. John pretends he's still looking for Ed behind the chair even after Ed has come around to the front. He giggles or grabs John's leg to get his attention. Tonight, John faked him out by pulling down the cushion, exposing a previous hiding spot. Edward was highly entertained by this turn of events.