Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A major breakthrough in Edward's world today--literally. After gallons of drool and months of gnawing on everything in sight, he has a tooth. It may be a few days (weeks?) before it's visible in photos, but I felt it this afternoon--it's definitely there.

In anticipation of his emerging set of choppers, we've been giving him a few more finger foods in addition to his diet of milk and pureed fruits and veggies. He likes to feed himself so much that even while receiving a spoonfed meal, he's rooting around on the tray for things he can pick up. He still loves the Veggie Puffs and will bypass other things on tray to get to them and shove them in his mouth by the fistful. He also seems to like grapes now that I've loosened up and realized I don't need to cut them into microscopic pieces. I seriously think I cut them so small at first that he couldn't even see them to reach out and pick them up! Overprotective? I can't deny it.

The cheese hasn't gone over too well so far-- shredded cheddar and mozzarella as well as tiny cubes of Monterey jack have been rejected with a lovely gagging noise. So subtle. I may try American, but those three are what we had on hand. I did find some little crackers that are not baby food, but are thin enough for him to gum. They are shaped like bunnies (shout out to KG in AZ!) He's getting the whole wheat variety--I know I'm a tyrant Mom. But I figure as long as I have sole discretion I might as well try to establish a taste for something relatively healthy. He'll be bombarded with kid-directed marketing soon enough and start making demands.

He is also entertaining himself (and his parents) with some new consonant babbling ("ba ba ba" "ma ma ma" etc.)