Sunday, April 02, 2006

On Friday afternoon Edward was acting fussy, wiggling around, stretching his legs and arching his back. After trying all the usual calming methods, it finally occurred to me to change his clothes. Perhaps the outfit was just too tight. Eureka! The end of the 0-3 month era was upon us. He graduated to the 3-6 month size and was much more comfortable. Lucky for him, he has almost as many choices in this size as he did in the last, none of which were purchased by his parents. Truly, there was never a baby more lavished with gifts than Edward Kenyon!

I got a storage container for the outgrown clothes and ran across his penguin hat as I was putting things away. We thought we'd take one last picture of this piece of his early life just to show how far he's come.

Many people have been asking about how he's sleeping. I've hesitated to post anything about his overnight sleep patterns on the blog, because in the past this has been the surest way to ensure that he abandoned whatever pattern of behavior I was describing. He never seems to do it twice the same way, but for the most part I think it's safe to say that Edward is sleeping through the night. He can go six to eight hours at a stretch, so depending on what time he falls asleep for the night, I sometimes get away without a middle of the night feeding. For instance, if he gets changed and fed around 9 p.m. he will then sleep until sometime between 5 and 6 a.m. On a work day, this is a good time for me to get up and start the day. On a weekend, not so much, but we can adapt. However, if he falls asleep earlier than 9 p.m. then he sometimes wakes up hungry around 4 a.m. or so. When this happens I usually try to grab one last hour of sleep after feeding him and before the dreaded alarm clock. Sometimes I think it's not worth it, as it's so hard to get back up after that hour. But I know that every hour counts so I should take them where I can get them. And really, I'm in no position to complain given that I get seven- to eight-hour blocks of sleep somewhat regularly.