Sunday, October 09, 2005

John gave his first heparin injection tonight. He's been dreading it for weeks, knowing that as I approached the third trimester (!) I'd have to stop using my abdomen as an injection site. Because of the bruising the shots cause, it's important to vary the site as much as possible. The other two options are thigh and upper arm. I've been alternating between thigh and abdomen, but now must switch to alternate between thigh and arm. Giving the shot requires pinching up the skin and then sticking the needle in. Logistically, it's impossible to do this for myself on my arm since it's a two-handed process. John did very well, though I don't think he believed me when I said it didn't hurt. I suppose I'm used to needle sticks by now. He'll be used to it too after another 13-14 weeks.