Wednesday, June 20, 2012

This blog post is two weeks overdue. The week after school got out, I took vacation time and the boys and I just stayed home to have some "unscheduled" summer time fun. (I refuse to use the gimmicky term "stay-cation" to refer to this time!) I don't mean that we were without plans, but we didn't specifically have to be anywhere (except evening tee ball) at any certain time.


On the Wednesday of that week, I wanted to take the boys to pick strawberries as it was forecast to be a nice, cool morning. They loved blueberry picking, so I figured strawberries would also be a hit. Unfortunately, our early spring meant early strawberries, and they were all picked by the first week of June. Fortunately, I found that out before we drove an hour to the farm! So instead, we went back to Hickory Hill Park, site of our fabulous winter hike, to see what it looked like in summer. (We'd also been there in spring, including John's spring break treasure hunt, that I now realize, he never blogged about!)

We had a great time hiking down what should have been familiar paths and hardly recognizing it with the full summer growth. These side-by-side pictures show the same or similar spots in June on the left and January on the right.



 Vine swinging

Log Bench
 End of hike bench (how annoyed was I to come home and find the June pic out of focus?!)


 Following the paths
No winter equivalent for this one, but it definitely captures the spirit of exploration they embraced on our hike!