Friday, May 13, 2011


This is a repeat for those of you connected in Facebook-land, but I sometimes get in trouble for the lag between what I share on FB and what gets posted here.

John reports that the boys were "super awesome" at the commencement ceremony this morning. Lots of snacks and backpacks full of books helped, but I think the key was probably four grandparents to help out. That's fitting, since all of them were so key in supporting me all the way through the five-and-a-half years it took me to complete the degree. (It was actually six years ago next week that I started my first class, but since I finished coursework in January, I'm calling it a 5.5.-year degree.)

The most exciting moment came at the brunch after the ceremony when Daniel managed to get himself stuck in his chair. Thankfully it was not his head, but it did take three of us to extricate him. He remained calm throughout, alerting us to the need for attention with a simple, "Help, please!" Afterward, he returned to his meal, which pretty much consisted of a huge chocolate dessert. He might have also eaten a strawberry. Edward returned to the buffet for a second dessert. Yeah, it was that kind of day.

All in all a lovely celebration!