Sunday, April 17, 2011

Except for two years in Washington, D.C. after college, I've lived in the Midwest my entire life. I know that spring is more a state of mind than an actual season. I have memories of snow as late as my sister's birthday on May 1. Yet I was still not fully prepared to wake up yesterday morning to a snow-globe view from my kitchen window. Yesterday. The day we would March for Babies.

Having known all week that the weather would be less than ideal (forecast was for rain and low 40s) I'd been in touch with all Team Kenyon members to assure them that we were tremendously grateful for their support and would not dream of dragging them out on a Saturday morning to take a walk in the freezing rain.

Most of them listened, but a few intrepid souls still made their way to the park and hiked the four-mile route with us. And by "us" I mean John and me. For although we got the boys outfitted in boots, snowpants and winter coats before pulling their over-sized March for Babies t-shirts over the top, we had no intention of pushing an 80-lb stroller through the wet streets. I do wonder when they'll be strong enough to walk the route with us, but this was certainly not the year! My wonderful parents were in town, and when the walk started, they took the boys back to our house to wait in warmth.

In the end, I have to say, I think the snow was actually less unpleasant than rain. We've walked in the rain before and found the snow to be a less soggy experience. We were dressed for it--in the layers we usually don for winter sledding. We even resorted to winter shoes/boots, which aren't the most comfortable for distance walking, but kept our feet dry.

So we filed it under my dad's famous "this is what memories are made of!" category as well as "it's nothing compared to what Will endured" and called it a day. To date Team Kenyon has raised more than $3,000 and donations are still coming in! We can't say Thank You enough to our wonderful family and friends who have been with us every step of the way on this journey. You fill our hearts!