Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Well, I wish I could say we've been too busy living life to find time for blogging about it, but the truth is we've been up to a lot of nothing this month. I finished my summer class about the time of the last post and have been enjoying a more leisurely schedule since then. Next class starts next week and I'm not looking forward to it--another dry business requirement, Operations Management. Maybe I'll be surprised, but I'm not holding my breath. I really enjoyed the summer class though, an elective about leadership, so maybe I can ride that high all the way through the fall term.

We enjoyed another backyard pool adventure on Friday after naps. John's office observes "summer hours," sending staff home at 3:30 on summer Fridays so he was home for the fun. We were amused at Daniel's fine motor skills as he attempted the squirt gun. Only his thumb is strong enough to pull the trigger and holding it this way means he squirts himself in the face more often than not. He seems not to mind though. (Click on this picture to see a larger version that shows the spray of water.)I had to snap this pre-pool shot. Who doesn't love a baby belly hanging over a diaper? I still can't bring myself to take Daniel for a haircut because I know he won't look so much like my baby with the wild curls snipped away.
Here's Daniel reading to himself on Sunday morning after church. I've managed to take both boys solo to church the last two weeks. Can't promise it will happen every week, as it's quite stressful and there's not a lot to be gained spiritually from the endeavor. However, I am aware that this is how they'll learn the ritual, and I see kids not that much older who can keep it together the whole hour so there's hope. This week we left during Communion when Daniel took a toy combine (metal) and chucked it two pews ahead of us, luckily not hitting anyone in between. I can tell the experience leaves an impression with Ed though because after watching part of a Sesame Street episode featuring a magician wearing a cape, he described it to John as "the priest made the cards disappear." I had watched it with him and it had not occurred to me to equate the costume with the priest's vestments!

John, like his mother, can not appreciate a photo of himself, but I think this is sweet.


The latest development in firefighter wear is using a pot as a face mask. In the picture above, Daniel isn't sure a frying pan will create the desired effect.
Again, I had to get permission to post this one and it was granted, reluctantly. John was already home and changed for the pool by the time Edward woke, bleary-eyed from his nap. He needed a little snuggle time to fully shake the sleepies out. It's so interesting that he still does this on occasion when he wakes. Daniel will have none of it. Even if he wakes up crying (which is unusual, but does happen) he allows himself to be held and rocked for maybe 15 seconds before squirming down and trotting across the room to deposit his pacifier in his bed and then run for the door.

Our local schools start on Thursday and the university's fall semester starts Monday. Our air conditioning is turned off as mild days are giving way to cool evenings. Summer isn't over (and I'm sure we'll have more heat) but signs of fall are all around. Locals always say that summer is the best time to be in Iowa City because the pace is slower and the population thins as students head out for summer adventures. Even though my schedule isn't tied to the academic calendar (no summers off!) I always appreciate the reawakening as the town buzzes with the energy of a new year.