Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Edward was annoying me in the post-school, pre-nap phase of the day (which was longer than it should have been, hence the annoyance.) So I need to post two funny stories as a reminder of what a great kid he really is. I will balance that with Daniel photos that have nothing to do with these stories.

Earlier this month Edward learned about John's contacts while watching him in the morning. John has let him wear his glasses (closely supervised) but I don't think Ed ever realized that when John isn't wearing glasses (most of the time) he still has vision correction. So they discussed it in detail and Edward moved on with his morning. Later at snack time, Edward was having Cheerios (his request.) I was washing dishes with my back to him when he called out, "Mom, look." I turned around to see him with his eyes closed pressing a Cheerio against each eyelid: "These are my contacts!" I was laughing so hard I had to call John at work to tell him what was happening at home. This has been repeated a few times but not always announced. The way we know what he's been up to is the milk drops on his cheeks.

The second tidbit isn't so much a story as an observation. Whenever we're in the car we have a running commentary on all manner of vehicles and snowplows are definitely part of the mix. Late last week Edward informed me, "I like the big, big snowplows, not the pick-up kind." That is, the only satisfactory snowplows are the actual city trucks. Any schmo who can attach a plow blade to his pick-up is a mere poseur and not worth a three-year-old's observational energy. Now, whenever we see a pick-up snowplow, Edward announces, "I don't like that kind."