Thursday, February 07, 2008

Eleven inches of new snow yesterday brought Iowa to a near stand-still yesterday with schools and many businesses closed. Even the university canceled classes, which is a rarity, though it's the second time this winter. John had to work or there wouldn't have been a newspaper for readers come Monday morning, so the boys and I saw him off and then had a whole day ahead of us. Normally I would have been prepared for a day off from school with ideas for things to do and perhaps even a field trip planned. But my limited activity log and Daniel's unpredictable schedule left me without the proper resources for toddler entertainment. We spent the morning alternating between happy playtime and total meltdown. We sang verses to "The Wheels on the Bus" that I didn't even know existed. Edward practiced his "ABCs" (he liberally edits the 26 letters, skipping from L to P in one incoherent mumble.) He dumped toys all through the living room and kitchen. He was happy to watch "Thomas the Tank Engine" while I was feeding Daniel. But four times before noon he was in hysterics, laying on the floor to scream about some perceived difficulty. At least once, I didn't even know what set him off.

I hate to admit I was counting the minutes until lunch time, since that immediately precedes nap time. But even after he went down for a nap, there was a looming dread, since I knew he hadn't had nearly enough morning activity to sustain his usual three-hour nap. Luckily, John came home early from work, arriving just as Ed was waking (an hour earlier than usual) and the two of them were able to go outside to shovel and play.

By dinner time, having heard his sassy "NnnnnO!" more than I could tolerate, I actually turned his chair upside down and told him he couldn't sit in it for dinner until he picked up all the bowls and other plastic containers he'd strewn about the kitchen. This achieved the desired action, whereas asking him five times and even getting down to "help," showing him what I wanted done, had not.

In contrast to our whole day of togetherness, today he went from daycare to Grandma and Grandpa's and didn't get home until 6 p.m. when John picked him up after work. I really missed him and was grateful that my halftime work schedule allows us more time together than just post-work until bedtime.

So I'm not winning any parenting awards this week, but I don't think I've created any permanent psychological scars either.