Wednesday, March 08, 2006

We've had a busy week since the last update. I felt like Edward was still having eating/stomach problems and discomfort on Thursday so we went back to the doctor where they suggested he might have a touch of reflux. However, they did not feel it was serious enough to medicate given that he didn't have the primary symptom, which is weight loss or lack of weight gain. He had gained another three ounces since his Tuesday appt! They recommended holding him more upright for eating and then for 30 minutes afterward. That seems to be working as he has much less spit up now and seems to be more comfortable.

But before I get too confident that I have him figured out, I must remind myself that I left notes for Edward's first non-family babysitter Monday night that claimed that "evening is his most predictable time." He almost always eats around 6, has some awake time then sleeps a bit and wakes up to eat between 9 and 10 for his final pre-bedtime meal. John and I had separate obligations so he was home feeding Ed when the babysitter arrived (the daughter of a friend, neighbor and coworker) and I was expecting to be home by 8:30 or so. We didn't think she'd have to feed him, but left a bottle just in case. Well, he apparently got hungry early and was screaming when I got home at 8:40. I'm not sure how long he'd been this way. She said "just a little while" but definitely was not eager to linger. I hope we didn't scare her away! He ate, calmed down and went to bed.

But then last night (Tuesday) he had a similar evening pattern. I went to visit a friend in the hospital and then a quick trip to the mall for some clothes for going back to work next week. I called John on my way home at 8:30 and Ed was screaming again and had been for most of the time I was away, John reported. He wasn't burping after eating, which probably led to his discomfort, but John tried every position and tons of back patting and rubbing and still Ed would not burp. It's so hard when he's uncomfortable and you can't do anything to fix it! I fed him when I got home and after about five minutes sat him up and he let out two shockingly loud burps. Sometimes when Ed burps it actually startles me, even though I'm sitting there patting him and should be expecting it!

So we hope this is not a new pattern of evening fussiness and discomfort. That would be bad for all of us, but especially Ed. We'll see. We just need to stop expecting any two days to be alike!

He had very little fussiness and was in excellent spirits for our weekend trip to Evanston to visit family and friends. He slept the whole time in the car both ways. We stopped at about the three-hour point each way to feed him (and ourselves) and he woke right up, ate, got changed and went back to sleep once the car got going again. What a great traveler! Friday night he got to meet three grand-aunts and -uncles, four of my first cousins, and one of his first cousins. He'd already met his Aunt Ann, who was also there. That's a lot of family!

Then on Saturday, the moment we thought might never happen--he got to meet my Grandma Ganey. She has been in a nursing home for a while now following a stroke, and in December there was good reason to believe she would not live to see 2006. But she rallied and though she is still approaching the end of her life, she has been waiting patiently to meet Edward, having had his picture posted next to her bed since he was born. It was a great visit! We didn't know what to expect from her or from Ed, but both were at the top of their games. He was awake long enough for her to see his eyes and his animation but then also asleep and still enough that she could hold him for quite a long time in her lap. She can't speak very well, but kept waving us away saying she'd babysit him. At one point while he was awake, I opened his suit so she could touch his foot and see his fat little leg. She loved that but then she got worried that he'd get cold so she had me button him back up. As if anyone could get cold there! Now we have pictures and memories to cherish forever.

When we got home we had the greatest surprise waiting for us--my sister Bridget came home from school for the weekend! She didn't tell anyone she was coming and it took waking up at the crack of dawn and then I think three van/bus connections and a train to get her there. We were all floored but so excited to see her.

In the afternoon many of our Chicago-area friends and friends of my parents came to meet Edward, which was a lot of fun. Of course we wished we had more time to catch up with everyone, but babies and long conversations don't mix very well, so we'll just have to save that for the next trip. Gram and PopPop are eager babysitters so we'll have opportunities to go out with those friends when we visit again. Actually, they babysat that night while John and I went to a movie. We hadn't been since Christmas Eve when we unknowingly went on our final pre-parenthood date to lunch and a matinee (Good Night and Good Luck.) This time we saw Capote, which was excellent, though quiet enough at points that I had to fight my nodding head and drooping eyes. There's just no such thing as enough sleep when you're caring for an infant I guess!