Monday, June 13, 2005

Today's ultrasound showed a tiny but perfect beginning of a life, complete with a heartbeat of 153 beats per minute. It also showed that I'm not quite as far along as we originally guessed. Today I am seven weeks and three days. That led to an adjustment in the estimated due date. Based on the ultrasound, the due date is January 26, 2006, exactly a year since our family and friends joined us to remember Will and celebrate his short life. At first I misremembered and thought it was the anniversary of his death. I got stuck on the 26th which is tied to both his birth (10/26/2004) and his death (via the memorial service) but he actually died on Jan. 22. Regardless, it seems to be an intricately woven plot laid out before us and could be the most beautiful or the cruelest twist of fate ever. I'm leaning toward seeing the beauty--Will up there orchestrating things to mitigate our pain as we continue to face life without him.

As we've already established though, I definitely won't make it all the way to the due date. The C-section will be scheduled two to three weeks before that to avoid the chance of going into labor.

So now I'm supposed to start the heparin shots. I tried to get the prescription filled this afternoon, but after waiting more than 40 minutes I finally left Walgreens and planned to go back later. I didn't get a chance though so it will have to be tomorrow. This particular prescription seemed to flummox them on several levels. I guess it's not a common regimen, especially for long term use as I plan. Maybe they'll get used to it after a couple of refills. I hope to find out.

No comments: